Monday, November 17, 2014

My husband and teal toes.

It's official folks, the verdict is in, my husband is the cutest!

He is not perfect by any means and he's made some mistakes (who hasn't) but he's mine and he's improving. My husband and I didn't have a 100% grasp on all things PCOS (he is a guy and I am new to having it)... He had less of a grasp on it all. I think because it was the unknown and he doesn't research things to death like me, it seemed to be too much for him so he just took my word for it.

On Friday, I had a lot of downtime at work so I was on Pinterest looking around and a little picture that had the PCOS diet summarized came up and so I clicked on it. I had a bit about things I shouldn't eat/drink but hadn't gotten any concrete evidence for it so I wondered if the people who created this pin might... They did! They had ton of other info so I just kept reading. I ended up copying some of the links and sending them to my husband.

Now usually when I send him something at work, he doesn't read it because he doesn't check his personal email or he doesn't have time because they are swamped. At the end of the day when he finally checks his email, he's usually in the car with me (we ride together because we work right around the corner from each other) and when he sees its something from me, he usually asks "What was that article/link/video/etc. about?" and I usually summarize. I thought this time would be no different since it was the day after a game, which is usually one of his busiest days. He proved me wrong. This time, he called me a little after lunch, tearing up a little, and said "I had no idea that is what you are dealing with! It is making me sad to know the extend of what you are going through. I would like to talk to you about it after work. I love you." and then we hung the phone up pretty quickly after that because he had to go back to work and I had a call on the other line. I couldn't believe it... He had read all 10 articles I had sent him AND gotten emotional about them. I was soooo excited he had actually read them. They weren't very long but it meant so much that he was willing to educate himself on what I am going through and that he now has a better grasp on it. Towards the end of the day, he started creating some shirts on this t-shirt design website about PCOS. They were teal and had different sayings and pictures he combined to make some pretty cool shirts.

He gets in the cars, tears in his eyes, and says "You are so strong. I can't believe that you have to deal with that everyday. I wish I could take that pain and burden away from you. I will do anything to help you." He proceeds to tell me he did some research on his own and found out a lot of stuff. One thing he found out and was very insistent on doing is called "Teal Toes". I had no idea it existed until he told me about it. Apparently, women with PCOS with paint their toes only teal with the hopes that someone with notice that they are always teal and ask about it. It is an opportunity for them to explain what PCOS is and raise awareness. My husband wanted to do this. I thought he was kidding but sure enough, when we were at the store buying a few things, he picked out a teal nail polish and had me paint his toes last night. My husbands toes are teal!! He thinks it will raise more questions as to why a guy is wearing teal nail polish on his toes than why a girl chooses the same color all the time. I'm sure he'll get some questions. Maybe not now because it is winter but when the weather breaks and he's able to wear sandals and walk barefoot, he'll get questions.

Guys, how did I get so lucky to have such a supportive (and crazy) husband?! He is so amazing! I am sooo elated that he is willing to research PCOS to get a better idea of what is going on inside me. I usually keep things to myself because I don't want to be one of those girls who complains all the time or brings attention to myself, even with my husband, so he didn't really know what was happening inside. I know this post makes it sound like out relationship is bad or that he doesn't care, but I can tell you its far from that. He is very supportive and loving and caring, he just might not always read the silly articles or news articles I send him but when it comes to anything else, he is always attentive. When I do complain about symptoms, he is there to lend an ear, he lends a shoulder to cry on if I need it and is ready to get me anything I need to make me feel better. He is wonderful (if he wasn't, I wouldn't have married him). I just had to brag on him for a little bit. He is wonderful and I love him.

Has anyone else's husband done anything like this or some act to show awareness or compassion towards your PCOS journey?

http://www.tealtoes.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment