Thursday, October 2, 2014

Round Two

This photo is the highway on the road home from Chicago this past weekend (Sept. 26-Sept. 28) for our 2 year anniversary trip. It was very beautiful and the weather was perfect... I really felt God's presence on that trip.
So today is an exciting day for us! I went to my doc and he did my baseline ultrasound to check to make sure everything is looking good. When he walked in the room his immediate reaction was "Why aren't you pregnant yet girl?!? I thought I told you to get pregnant!" as he lightly tapped my knee (which was up in the stirrups) with my chart. I told him "We gave it a valiant effort for round one but we're thinking round 2 will work!" I love him. He is fantastic! I am glad he can joke with me, I'm sure he gets lots of people in there who are way too serious!

We did the ultrasound (which was creepy since they wanted me to come in between days 2-5 of my cycle... aka heavier bleed days so that was a little embarrassing and I was worried about the mess. Surprisingly there was zero mess! I was extra embarrassed when there was a med student in there with him. Usually there is a student with him because he is the head of the OB/GYN department at UC Med School. Every single time he has had a student, they have been female so I wasn't as worried about them because even though they are a student, they at least know what's going on during this time and are usually nicer or more caring. Today, the student was a male. I was became a little more embarrassed because he might know the technical points of what happens during menstruation but he also doesn't know lol My doctor goes through the ultrasound pretty quickly and said "Here's the left ovary, a pretty typical PCOS looking one. And the right, again, pretty typical. Uterus looks great. Lining in great." The lights go on and he tells me we're ready. There is a little bit of a new plan so I will go through that with you.

He has upped my dose of Letrozole from 2- 2.5mg pills per day to 3- 2.5mg pills per day. He says this should increase the rate of my follicle growth, which was a little slow last time. He has me starting this today. I will also be putting on four estrogen patches on Monday to increase the thickness of my lining which should help my fertilized egg attach better. I will go in for my follow-up ultrasound on Thursday to check the growth of the follicles. If everything is good, I will take my shot when he tells me to (most likely that day or the next day). This will all be followed by timed intercourse and some waiting for two weeks until I can take my pregnancy test. He hasn't mentioned doing the Prometrium this time around but he could always tell me to get in when I go in on Thursday. We shall see. So far, my Letrazole price didn't go up even when the increased pills. I was able to get the patches at the same pharmacy for $90 but they would have to order it and I wasn't going to make the drive twice. I was able to get them at Meijer for $111 so I was willing to spend a little extra money to have them yesterday versus making the 30 minute drive to get it later. The Ovidrel shot was ordered today and is expected to arrive by next Wednesday. It was $21 but they have stopped doing free shipping so they tacked on $10 for that. Still better than the $95 I should have been paying!

I will again be doing a report of how everything is going... I feel it is not only helpful for me so I can let out my feelings or thoughts but it is also helpful to others. I have tried to research the medications that my doctor has prescribed for this fertility journey but I have had no luck finding anything other than medical reports, which are great, don't get me wrong BUT I would have liked to have a "real life" account of what happened so I knew when I could potentially expect. No luck. So hopefully in your search, you stumble upon me and it helps :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment