Monday, September 8, 2014

Insurance and Money

So, my insurance ended earlier that I thought it would and hubby switched jobs so we're in transition of insurance (aka without until he gets insurance from work). So for now we're paying everything out of pocket, which would have been the way anyways because neither of our insurances covered any infertility services at all, except for the diagnosis of infertility. So we've been saving for medical costs and we've also been putting some money aside for the past couple months for the baby so we can be as prepared as possible. My appointment on the 27th, should have been $140 but my doctor cut me a break and it was only $82!! Then he prescribed me prenatals, which ended up being free at Meijer! I had the Letrozole sent to Meijer as well and that was going to cost me $126! Yikes! Luckily, Shannon, the ever so wonderful nurse of Dr. Thomas, told me if it costs more than $10, call her immediately and she'll transfer the prescription to the UC West Chester Pharmacy because they can get it there for $10 if I am willing to drive the 30 minutes and be there by 5:00pm, I was totally fine with both! I had her transfer it and it turns out, it only cost me $5.37! I'm saving all kinds of money left and right! My next appointment is supposed to cost $432.00 because its an office visit and ultrasound... I hope it will be cheaper but we're prepared for the expense if need be :-)


Meijer has free prenatal vitamins (you need a prescription) and they have free Metformin Immediate Release pills, given in 30 day increments!! I just found this out and got a little more excited than I probably should have gotten! But honestly, prenatals in the store cost around $20 for a 1-2 month supply and Metformin costs me about $36 for a 1 month supply...I'd like to save my $50+ dollars each month and put it towards my medical appointments with my RE.


Talk with your doctor about not having any insurance or if your insurance doesn't cover any procedures. For my RE, he is the head of the UC Medical College OB/GYN Department so he has students in his office all the time and is willing to let his students do the procedure (basics like a PAP, ultrasound, etc.) for a fraction of the cost he would charge if he were doing it himself. Maybe your doctor is willing to cut the price down or work on a payment plan for you. Infertility is expensive!

No comments:

Post a Comment